Indiana Marriage FAQ
Helpful information for getting married in Indiana
MARRIAGE LICENSES & RECORDS (Delaware County, Indiana)
Marriage Application Requirements
Residents of Indiana must apply in the county in which either applicant lives, but can be married anywhere in the State of Indiana. Nonresidents of Indiana must be married in the County in which they applied for their marriage license.
You may apply for a marriage license online by going to www.courts.in.gov/marriage before going to the Delaware County Clerk’s Office to finalize the process of obtaining the official marriage license. If you wish to apply in person both parties can do so prior to 11:30am and 3:30pm at the Clerk’s Office. Office is closed 12:00pm – 1:00pm daily
When you arrive at the Delaware County Building, please have proof of identity, most recent divorce decree (if applicable), and proof of residency if you have recently moved to Delaware County.
Marriage Licenses are valid for 60 days from the date of issuance and the marriage must be performed in the State of Indiana.
Individuals under the age of consent must meet additional requirements. Contact the Clerk’s Office for more information.
- The marriage license fee is $25.00 for Indiana residents.
- For out of state residents the fee will be $65.00.
- If applicants would like to be mailed three (3) certified copies of the license after the return to the office, they must provide a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return. Additional certified marriage license copies will be $1.00 per copy, $3.00 Certification $4.00 total.
Requirements to Perform a Marriage
Indiana Code section 31-11-6-1 provides information on who may solemnize a marriage.
The Clerk’s Office is responsible for preserving marriage records.
- Records dating 1827-1920 are available on microfilm
- Records dating 1920-present are available for viewing in the Clerk’s Office
The Clerk’s Office is required by Indiana Code to collect copy fees of $3.00 per page, plus an additional $1.00 per document for certification (IC 33-37-5-1 and 33-37-5-3).
(Above information was updated October 19, 2022)
DELAWARE AND SURROUNDING COUNTIES MARRIAGE LINKS